2025年1月13日 星期一

Halliday (1978) - Sociolinguistics aspects of mathematical education

Stop 1: Reinterpreting existing words

I am impressed by the first method to develop a register in mathematics. The notion of "even" can have many interpretation in daily life. During mathematics lesson, we may share different intepretations of a single word. Also, the notion of "field" in mathematics means a lot. This is one of my favourite algebraic structure in mathematics. 

         Stop 2:  Impacts of environments for mathematics classifications 

        "The environments where children grow up support their mathematics classification (e.g., the                     environment containing few simple geometric shapes, but judging distance is important in that                 environment)."

       "The more informal talk between students and teachers, the more help the students is getting in mastering it."

        Community-based learning is one of my research interests in my Ph.D. study. These two quotations offered me         two additional meaningful reasons to continue my work.

        Stop 3: Nominalization

        This techqiue is always applied in mathematics and academic writing. Before reading, I only believe         that the reason to nominalize is to turn our writing into a professional way. Halliday further suggested         that nominalization can provide a greater variation of sentence strucutre, which I totally agree. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Halliday (1978) - Sociolinguistics aspects of mathematical education

Stop 1:  Reinterpreting existing words I am impressed by the first method to develop a register in mathematics. The notion of "even...